T: 01823 462 928
The Museum of Somerset
The Willows & Wetlands Visitor Centre
The Cooper Associates County Ground
Bishops Lydeard mill
Hall & Who?
In 1777 Charles Hall, a Dorset farmer, founded a Brewery in the Dorset village of Ansty to provide beer to troops who were stationed on the South Coast before being shipped to America to fight the pesky colonists.
60 years later, his son Robert made his nephew, Edward Woodhouse, a partner in his brewing business, and Hall & Woodhouse was born. In 1875 Edward established the “Badger” as the logo and mark of quality for the beer (it’s one of the world’s oldest trademarks), and in the early 1900s Edward’s three sons - George, Alfred and Frank - moved the Brewery from Ansty to Blandford Forum and bought their first pub.
Today, Hall & Woodhouse is owned and run by the seventh generation of the Woodhouse family; the family are still passionate about serving the perfect pint and entertaining guests with good food, drink and hospitality in the perfect pub.